START A PETITION 25,136,189 members: the world's largest community for good
START A PETITION
x

Protect Your Pets from Poisons

Protect Your Pets from Poisons

My wife and I had a scary experience happen to us two weeks ago. It highlights the importance of considering all loved ones when creating a safe home–including ones with four legs.

My wife and I had walked to a local restaurant to get dinner. When we returned, one of our dogs (our beloved Bruiser) tried to greet us but his legs weren’t working properly. Something was obviously wrong. We ran into the house and found some ibufprofen pills on the floor. At that point, panic began to creep in. We had recently moved to a new area, we didn’t have a local vet, and we had no idea where to find an emergency vet.

Plan for a pet emergency: Find an emergency vet clinic near your home open 24 hours and have their number programmed into your cell phone. Know how to get to the clinic. If your pet is poisoned, time matters. It takes time to find an emergency vet, call them, find out how to get to their clinic and to actually drive to the clinic. You can save lots of time if you already know who to call and where to go.

Keep the Animal Poison Center Control number posted (1-888-426-4435). The poison control number for humans is 1-800-222-1222.

Know what things are pet poisons: The ASPCA has a good list of things that are potentially toxic to pets. Some of these toxins include different medications like ibuprofen, vitamins, certain foods including chocolate, household cleaners, fabric softeners and mothballs.

Pet-proof your home: Secure medications and other pet toxins in locations your pets can’t reach.

Act quickly in an emergency: If you think your pet has ingested a poison, call your vet, the emergency vet clinic or the Animal Poison Control Center and be prepared to take your pet to the vet.

I’m relieved to say our emergency had a happy ending. My wife and I acted quickly using the good old fashion Yellow Pages to find an emergency vet near our home. Bruiser and our other dog Bear are both alive and well. Two weeks later they are still getting into lots puppy trouble.

Read more: Pets, Health & Safety, Safe Sweet Home, Safety, , , , , ,

have you shared this story yet?

go ahead, give it a little love

Andrew Peterson

Andrew Peterson is a Certified Industrial Hygienist with over 10 years of experience working in the environmental and occupational health field. In addition to writing, he is currently the Environment, Health and Safety Manager for a medium-sized company that has been voted one of Fortune Magazine’s Best Places to Work For and one of CRO Magazine’s 100 Best Corporate Citizens. He lives in California with his wife and adopted pound puppy.

52 comments

+ add your own
4:15PM PDT on May 3, 2013

Thank you!

3:51PM PDT on May 3, 2013

Sorry went of topic ~ but when people are so careless to leave pets in the hot sun, you know they don't have a clue about what their pet can get into at home. I have SOOOOOOO taken everything out, as well as the yard/plants. Great article!

3:49PM PDT on May 3, 2013

I need to print this out to put on some of the cars at the shopping center today. 93 degrees and there is a doggie in the car with the windows cracked. I waited by the car, gave the dog water and went rapid when this young couple with a baby came out. URGH! Hot summer and some people just don't have a little brain cell in their head. Thanks.

8:15AM PDT on Jul 18, 2012

Great reminder. Glad everything turned out OK

8:15AM PDT on Jul 18, 2012

Great reminder. Glad everything turned out OK

8:15AM PDT on Jul 18, 2012

Great reminder. Glad everything turned out OK

8:15AM PDT on Jul 18, 2012

Great reminder. Glad everything turned out OK

8:15AM PDT on Jul 18, 2012

Great reminder. Glad everything turned out OK

1:20PM PDT on Jul 17, 2012

thanks.

2:56AM PST on Mar 3, 2012

tks

add your comment



Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.

people are talking

A reason? Because I'm alive! Life is dance...

hehe there must be butter on those toes!

Thank you for sharing!

We keep our butter wrappers in a ziploc bag in the freezer with some of these uses in mind. No greas…

Story idea? Want to blog? Contact the editors!



Select names from your address book   |   Help
   

We hate spam. We do not sell or share the email addresses you provide.