Protect Your Pets from Poisons

My wife and I had a scary experience happen to us two weeks ago. It highlights the importance of considering all loved ones when creating a safe home–including ones with four legs.

My wife and I had walked to a local restaurant to get dinner. When we returned, one of our dogs (our beloved Bruiser) tried to greet us but his legs weren’t working properly. Something was obviously wrong. We ran into the house and found some ibufprofen pills on the floor. At that point, panic began to creep in. We had recently moved to a new area, we didn’t have a local vet, and we had no idea where to find an emergency vet.

Plan for a pet emergency: Find an emergency vet clinic near your home open 24 hours and have their number programmed into your cell phone. Know how to get to the clinic. If your pet is poisoned, time matters. It takes time to find an emergency vet, call them, find out how to get to their clinic and to actually drive to the clinic. You can save lots of time if you already know who to call and where to go.

Keep the Animal Poison Center Control number posted (1-888-426-4435). The poison control number for humans is 1-800-222-1222.

Know what things are pet poisons: The ASPCA has a good list of things that are potentially toxic to pets. Some of these toxins include different medications like ibuprofen, vitamins, certain foods including chocolate, household cleaners, fabric softeners and mothballs.

Pet-proof your home: Secure medications and other pet toxins in locations your pets can’t reach.

Act quickly in an emergency: If you think your pet has ingested a poison, call your vet, the emergency vet clinic or the Animal Poison Control Center and be prepared to take your pet to the vet.

I’m relieved to say our emergency had a happy ending. My wife and I acted quickly using the good old fashion Yellow Pages to find an emergency vet near our home. Bruiser and our other dog Bear are both alive and well. Two weeks later they are still getting into lots puppy trouble.

52 comments

Bryna Pizzo
Bryna Pizzo3 years ago

Thank you!

Mm M.
MmAway M3 years ago

Sorry went of topic ~ but when people are so careless to leave pets in the hot sun, you know they don't have a clue about what their pet can get into at home. I have SOOOOOOO taken everything out, as well as the yard/plants. Great article!

Mm M.
MmAway M3 years ago

I need to print this out to put on some of the cars at the shopping center today. 93 degrees and there is a doggie in the car with the windows cracked. I waited by the car, gave the dog water and went rapid when this young couple with a baby came out. URGH! Hot summer and some people just don't have a little brain cell in their head. Thanks.

Jeramie D.
Jeramie D4 years ago

Great reminder. Glad everything turned out OK

Jeramie D.
Jeramie D4 years ago

Great reminder. Glad everything turned out OK

Jeramie D.
Jeramie D4 years ago

Great reminder. Glad everything turned out OK

Jeramie D.
Jeramie D4 years ago

Great reminder. Glad everything turned out OK

Jeramie D.
Jeramie D4 years ago

Great reminder. Glad everything turned out OK

Angela N.
Angela N4 years ago

thanks.

Elsa O.
Elsa O4 years ago

tks