1. In ancient Egypt, when a household cat died, family members did what to mourn the passing of their pussycat?
a. Shave their eyebrows
b. Henna tattoo the name of their cat across their hearts
c. Make offerings of cream to the cat goddess Bastet and beat their chests while wailing
d. Burn catnip and frankincense in all of the doorways and leave offerings of cream outside the front door
2. A cat is a digitigrade animal which means:
a. They vary in the number of toes they have
b. They are adept at climbing trees, but head-first only.
c. They have soft pads on the bottom of their feet which makes them near silent in their movement
d. They walk on their toes
3. The technical term for a cat’s hairball is a:
4. In Catholicism, the Patron Saint of Cats is:
a. Saint Francis of Assis
b. Saint Gertrude of Nivelles
c. Saint Garfield of Davis
d. Saint Catherine of Alexandria
5. Strings for guitars, fiddles, harps and tennis rackets once used catgut. True or False?
6. Kitten litter-mates can have different fathers. True or False?
7. What is the largest recorded litter for one cat?
8. Which famous historical figure had a deep distaste for the dirtiness of dogs, but loved cats so much that he reportedly cut the sleeve from his robe to avoid disturbing his cat that fell asleep in his arms?
a. Winston Churchill
b. Prophet Mohammed
d. St. Francis of Assisi
9. According to another well-loved legend, which famous historical figure stroked their beloved cat three times, thus granting it — and all cats thereafter — seven lives.
a. Prophet Mohammed
c. King Tutankhamen (King Tut of Egypt)
10. Catnip is exciting to some cats because:
a. It smells similar to a queen (adult female) in heat.
b. It is illegal in many states
c. It is chemically similar to hormones produced by a lactating mother cat
d. It can trigger visual and olfactory hallucinations
11. Everyone knows cheetahs are the fastest land animal, but which cat claims second place?
a. Clouded leopard
b. Amur leopard
12. An ancient Chinese legend maintains that the cat is the cross-breeding between which two animals?
a. Fox and a rabbit
b. Monkey and lioness
c. Monkey and an otter
d. Lioness and a weasel
Next page: The Answers