These tempting little packets of spinach and cheese rolled in a lasagna noodle are just the thing for a spring supper. Add a loaf of crusty whole-grain bread and a crisp salad and you have a nourishing and healthful meal: these Quick Spinach Roll-Ups are rich in eye-helping lutein and they’re low in fat!
8 lasagna noodles
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1 15-ounce container reduced-fat ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 bunch baby spinach leaves, chopped
1/4 cup snipped fresh chives
1 1/2 cups reduced-fat spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup finely shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
1. Cook noodles according to package directions, drain, and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together the egg whites, ricotta, Parmesan and salt. Set cheese mixture aside.
3. Lightly spray an unheated large skillet with olive oil no-stick spray. Add spinach and chives. Cook and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add spinach mixture to cheese mixture, stirring until combined.
4. Preheat oven to 350F. Spread a thin layer of spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a 12-inch by 71/2-inch by 2-inch baking dish.
5. To assemble, place one noodle on a piece of parchment paper or wax paper. Place 1/4 cup of spinach mixture in a mound 1/4-inch from the short end. Roll noodle around the spinach mixture. Carefully remove bundle from parchment and place it, seam side down, in the baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles and spinach mixture.
6. Pour remaining sauce over the roll-ups in the baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella and cover with foil/ Bake 35 to 45 minutes until bubbly.
Adapted from Healthy Homestyle Cooking, by Evelyn Tribole (Rodale Press, 1994). Copyright (c) 1994 by Evelyn Tribole. Reprinted by permission of Rodale Press.
Adapted from Healthy Homestyle Cooking, by Evelyn Tribole (Rodale Press, 1994).