Thinking of sharing your life with a furry, feathered, or scaly loved one? Animal adoption is not for the fickle of heart. Taking stock of your own life is the first—and most important—step to becoming a pet parent. It’s a long-term commitment that can see you through marriages, babies, and cross-country migrations. So don’t give self-examination short shrift. Take our quiz and see if you’re ready to take the pet plunge.
1. Your best friend, Sally, is coming over with her dog Beau for a visit. As soon as you open the door, Beau jumps up and pummels you with slobbery kisses. You:
A. Laugh. Doggie kisses are the bee’s knees!
B. Wipe the drool off your face and wait for Sally to take charge of the situation.
C. Recoil in horror.
2. Sunday mornings usually find you:
A. Cheerful, energetic, and right in sync with the early morning dog walkers.
B. Engaged in unapologetic bed hugging.
C. What mornings? Saturday night’s carousing means you don’t see daylight until 1 p.m.
3. When your pet-parent friends are leaving town and find themselves in need of a sitter, they:
A. Don’t even have to call. Your pad is their personal Camp Bow Wow.
B. Know they’ll hear some grumbling if they ask you, but have you on their list.
C. Can’t reach you. You know what’s coming and monitor the caller ID like a private eye.
4. The furniture in your home:
A. Has many marks of “character” from friends’ pets, and that’s perfectly fine with you.
B. May not exactly be magazine material, but serves its purpose with a certain flair.
C. Might as well be your pet—it’s that precious to you.
5. Your work schedule typically:
A. Varies so little you’re known at the local coffee shop as Ol’ Reliable.
B. Allows for some flexibility, but it’s nothing to write home about.
C. Has nothing typical about it. Dolly wasn’t singing about your life when she wrote “9 to 5.”
6. When you lock eyes with your checking account balance at the ATM, you:
A. Quickly lose track of all the numbers, then head for the nearest four-star restaurant.
B. Feel reassured, but still proudly consider yourself a bargain shopper.
C. Immediately start hyperventilating.