Quiz: Does Clutter Control You?
Is there a stack of mail teetering toward a disaster on your counter? Do you have stacks of magazines from the 1980s that you haven’t looked at since? Find your clutter quotient with this quiz from Unclutter Your Home (Storey Publishing, 1999) by Donna Smallin.
Choose a number between 1 and 4 that best describes your response to each of the following statements.
1: Never or almost never.
4: All the time.
Then add them up and see how you score below.
1. When I have free time I like to shop.
2. I keep bills, bank statements and other mail in piles, until I have time to file.
3. I have more than 10 plastic bags in my house.
4. I save magazines with interesting articles/recipes.
5. When I look around, I get tired just thinking about what it will take to unclutter my home.
6. I have two or more craft projects going on at any one time.
7. My house may look messy to some people, but I know where to find everything.
8. If someone stops by unexpectedly, I try to avoid letting them in.
9. I leave things out so I know where they are or as a reminder to myself.
10. Time keeps me from getting or being organized.
11. When it comes to clutter, I think, “Why bother? It will just get cluttered again.”
12. I can’t bear to part with things and I consider myself a pack rat.
13. The stress level in our house is directly related to the clutter level.
Next: How did you score?
Rating Your Answers
44 to 52: is indicative of a clutter problem that’s been building for some time. You are in need of some serious clutter-busting!
35 to 43: Your clutter problem is likely growing worse with eash passing year and will continue to do so unless you do something about it.
26 to 34: You have the potential to develop a clutter problem, but you also have the power to change a few old habits.
17 to 25: You may be simply, temporarily disorganized.
Less than 17: Congratulations on controlling your clutter. rather than letting it control you.