It’s Earth Month, and that means lots and lots of information coming at you about how to live with a lighter environmental footprint. Of course, with all of the media focus on sustainability over the past couple of years, you may figure there’s not much left for you to learn. Maybe… or maybe not! Take this quiz to see how much you do know… and what you can still learn about the green life.
1. You’re shopping for ingredients to take to a potluck a neighbor is hosting, and want to choose the most Earth-friendly options. Which of the following labels has strict definitions attached to it, and is certified by a third party?
2. A friend suggests that the two of you chip in and purchase a CSA (community-supported agriculture) membership for the coming year. You think hard, and try to remember what a CSA is. Is it…
A. A farmers market in the neighborhood?
B. A food cooperative?
C. An urban or community garden?
D. A model for buying “shares” in a local farmer’s harvest?
3. The weather warms up, and, one morning, you discover your puppy is covered in fleas after playing outside. What’s the potentially harmful way (to the environment, and your puppy) to handle this problem?
A. Sprinkling diatomaceous earth over your yard.
B. Spraying beneficial nematodes over your yard.
C. Bathing your puppy in an herbal flea shampoo containing citrus oils.
D. Begin applying a monthly spot-on flea treatment from the veterinarian.
4. You’ve got a sizzling hot weekend of romance planned. Among your plans: introducing some new toys to your relationship (yeah, those kinds of toys). To ensure a safe, healthy experience for your partner and yourself, you want to make sure the sex toys you purchase are free of…
5. Work, family, and friends have kept you hopping lately, and now the house is well past its deadline for cleaning. What’s the one quality you should look for in a “green” cleaning product?
A. It’s free of volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
B. It’s free of chlorine bleach.
C. It’s homemade from non-toxic ingredients.
D. All of the above.
6. Your energy bills have been through the roof lately. What’s the most important step you can take to lower your use of energy (and, in the process, lower those bills!)?
A. Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescents.
B. Unplug electronics and appliances when not in use.
C. Increase insulation levels in your exterior and basement walls, ceilings, floors, and crawl spaces.
D. Switch from a desktop to a laptop computer.
7. Keeping healthy and fit requires a regular exercise routine, but much of the “stuff” associated with working out these days consumes resources unnecessarily, and creates waste and pollution. What’s the most important step you can take to minimize the environmental impact of your exercise regimen?
A. Buy (and use) a reusable water bottle.
B. Take you exercise routine off the treadmill and elliptical, and get outside to work out.
C. Join a “green gym.”
D. All of the above.
8. From excess packaging to the potential presence of parabens (say that three times fast!), the morning beauty routine can take its toll on the environment, and even present health threats. Which of the choices for changing beauty and personal care habits listed below will most likely make multiple positive impacts on your health and your environmental footprint?
A. Buy cosmetics and personal care products labeled “organic.”
B. Cut back on the number of products (even “safe” products), and use them less often.
C. Buy cosmetics and personal care products labeled “natural.”
D. Grind your own minerals, mix your own moisturizers, and boil your own soap.
9. You’re cooking for a group of friends, several of whom are vegan. The recipe you want to make list eggs as an ingredient. What should you do?
A. Ditch the recipe, and serve carrot and celery sticks.
B. Include the eggs – they won’t notice.
C. Replace the eggs with mashed bananas
D. None of the above
10. A friend’s birthday is approaching, and you’d like to give her a gift that she’ll not only love, but that also respects both of your environmental values. What’s the best choice out of the list below?
A. A case of CFLs.
B. A gift certificate to Outback Steak House.
C. Yoga lessons at a nearby studio
D. Tomato plants for her garden
Next Page, CHECK YOUR ANSWERS
Intent.com provides content and community for who you aspire to be–personally, socially and globally.