Many of us treasure the fairy tale image of a Knight in Shining Armor who rides in on his magnificent charger just in the nick of time. Frankly, even though we’re adults, sometimes the tasks facing us seem so daunting that we could really use a little magical help. Oh if only we could summon up the Right Knight! Good news: we can. We all have knightly energies inside us; all we have to do is find out which one will be most helpful and then take simple steps to activate the knight within.
Take this fun and fascinating quiz to find out which knight offers you the magical help you need to accomplish your current life-tasks:
Answer the following questions yes or no.
1. I sometimes feel stuck in my thinking.
2. I could really use a broader overview of my life: I can’t see the forest for the trees.
3. I need some help getting clarity around the pros and cons of decisions I am facing.
4. I could really use an energy boost.
5. I have a deep longing for greater self-expression.
6. My life is in need of some vital transformation.
7. I need help accessing my intuition.
8. My current life-task concerns building or repairing loving relationships.
9. I need to develop my empathy toward others.
10. I need help with a hands-on project.
11. My current task involves changing home, job, or livelihood.
12. I need more patience and attention to detail.
If you answered yes to numbers 1, 2, or 3, the Knight of Swords is your helper.
If you answered yes to numbers 5, 6, or 7, then the Knight of Wands is your helper.
If you answered yes to numbers 8, 9, or 10, then the Knight of Cups is your helper.
If you answered yes to numbers 11, 12, or 13, then the Knight of Pentacles is your helper.
The Knight of Swords thinks clearly and with great fluidity, always seeking out the mental high ground and the broader view.
The Knight of Wands is fiery and filled with vital zeal for life, ready to transform what is stale and dry.
The Knight of Cups is emotional and connective, helping to bring greater empathy and understanding to your relationships.
The Knight of Pentacles is grounded, calm, and steady, perfectly at home in the realm of material concerns, but infused with a sense of the sacredness of Earth.
Find images of these Knights from a Tarot deck, or find pictures from magazines that seem to embody the qualities you seek. Keep them where you will see them often and be reminded that every human being has the capacity to develop these knightly qualities.
Here’s a real-life example: When a friend was faced with finding a better job, she began thinking about her inner Knight of Pentacles. She even gave him a name! And she began thinking things like, “What would Ben do in this situation?” The warm, protective, steadying influence of this inner knight was a great help to her and she eventually found a much better job.
Inspired by Discovering Your Self through the Tarot, by Rose Gwain (Inner Traditions, 1994).