Many of us love the feeling of clearing out the clutter from our homes. But given the frantic pace of many of our lives, perhaps some mental simplifying is in order, too!
Do you think you might benefit from clearing away some mind clutter? Take this simple quiz to find out:
1. Are you a “worrier”?
2. Is your mind constantly troubled by all the things on your mental “To Do” list?
3. Do you ever chastise yourself for “wasting time,” or talk about time as if there is not enough of it to go around, as in: “Sorry, I don’t have time,” “I wish there were more time,” “Time got away from me,” etc. and so on.
4. Do you take your little child or dog for a walk and then find yourself tugging at your child’s hand or the dog’s leash and saying “Come on!” (The author has made a study of the people who walk their dogs up and down the lane outside her cottage and how many times they say “Come on!” to their dogs. Usually it is overtime the dogs stop to sniff something. Yet the walk is supposed to be for the benefit of the dog. Go figure!)
5. Do you use the word “busy” a lot, e.g. do you find yourself telling others about how busy you are, or using the excuse “I was/am too busy”?
6. Do you sometimes feel overwhelmed by your own life?
7. Do you spend most of your time either re-hashing the past or rehearsing for the future and find it difficult to keep you mind full yon the “now”?
8. Do you find it almost impossible to sit still and do nothing?
9. Does your mind sometimes feel so overloaded with thoughts that it is hard to focus on just one thing?
10. Do you lie awake thinking at night?
If you find yourself saying “yes” to all or most of these questions, it is likely that you need to do some mental simplifying. (Most of us do.) To live in a world of mental simplicity, we can try to make an effort to stay aware of the present moment and to spend as little time as possible re-hashing the past and/or rehearsing the future. It takes practice, but little by little you will see what a difference this can make!
Editors’ note: Cait and Annie took this test and it really brought them up short! They have both made changes as a result, and their lives are on their way to becoming calmer and more peaceful.