Rabbit Saves People from Fire
A pet rabbit alerted a woman her house was on fire by scratching her chest until she awoke. The woman then recognized her house was full of smoke and fled with her daughter. Sadly, the rabbit died later of smoke inhalation. The mother and daughter suffered no injuries from the fire in their southeast Alaskan home, and the damage was moderate.
Between fifty and eighty percent of deaths from fires result from smoke inhalation, instead of burns. According to FEMA, over 4,000 Americans die in house fires each year, with over $8 billion in damages. In 2009, over eighty percent of fires occurred in homes. The main cause of residential fires is cooking.
Depending on what is burning, smoke can contain toxic gases. Unless the floor is on fire, it is generally suggested that staying close to it reduces exposure to smoke and potentially deadly gases. Exiting a burning structure could be done by crawling, for example, to attempt reducing smoke inhalation.
Some people view rabbits as nothing more than useless fluff balls, and sometimes even eat their pet rabbits. The belief they are dumb is simply arrogant, though. Here is one of example of how they are perceived incorrectly, “And what about the second rabbit who persistently knocks the food bowl from his human hand? His blind spot is right below him, at chin level, where the human sticks the bowl. He’s hungry; he can’t find the food because the human has put it in one small place that he can’t see. So he takes charge of the situation and scatters the pellets around where he has a better chance of finding them.” (Source: hrschicago.org)
Image Credit: (CC) Larry D. Moore