With all of the eating (or overeating) that comes with the holiday season, we thought it might be nice to share some healthy-yet-comforting recipes. Here are two tasty treats from Raw Food for Real People: Living Vegan Food Made Simple by Rod Rotondi. In the book, you’ll find more delicious recipes plus tons of tips on preparing raw foods. Don’t forget to leave a comment for your chance to win a copy of the book!
Kreme of Mushroom Soup
This beats that canned soup any day! Oh yeah, and it’s not loaded with salt and dairy products. People can’t believe how easy and delicious this soup is.
Serves 8 to 10
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews or macadamia nuts (soaked 2 hours, drained, and rinsed)
- 2 cups soaked almonds (soaked 8 to 10 hours, drained, and rinsed)
- 3 cups water
- 2/3 cup nama shoyu (substitute tamari or 1/2 cup miso paste to make gluten free)
- 2 pounds fresh button mushrooms, chopped (about 4 cups), plus extra for garnishing
- 2 medium cloves garlic
- Hot water for heating
1. Put the nuts and 3 cups water in a blender and blend until the liquid is smooth and silky.
2. Add the nama shoyu, mushrooms, and garlic and blend again.
3. Before serving, heat the soup by stirring in very hot water in a 1 to 1 ratio of hot water to soup; the soup should be thick and creamy. Garnish with chopped mushrooms.