Native Americans included pumpkin in their traditional diet. They even dried it for use during the winter months when food was scarce. There are many reasons why this underrated superfood makes a great and healthy addition to your diet, too:
1. It is an excellent source of complex carbohydrates (the “good carbs”) that help provide essential energy to the body.
2. It contains plenty of fiber to keep bowels moving properly. One cup of pumpkin has three grams of fiber.
3. Its high fiber content also aids weight loss. Research shows high dietary aids weight loss in people who are overweight.
4. The brilliant orange color indicates its high beta carotene content. Beta carotene is a precursor to vitamin A, which is needed for healthy immunity and vision.
5. It helps with skin healing, protecting against sun damage, and even helping scars to fade.
Image credit: foodistablog via Flickr
Discover the many diseases pumpkins can help keep at bay…