Who doesn’t love pudding? The trouble is, most puddings are often loaded with sugars and lacking in nutrition. Well, here’s a breakfast pudding that’s going to change all that. This power pudding is low in sugar and loaded with chia, flax, and coconut, meaning you get the whole spectrum of healthy fats, including the elusive omega-3s.
Many of us get far too few omega-3 fatty acids in our diets. We consume plenty of omega-6s, in the form of nuts, vegetable oils, wheat products, and avocados. However, far fewer foods, if you’re not a fish eater, offer omega-3s. There is evidence to suggest that as a species, we evolved with a ratio of 1:1, omega-6s to omega-3s. However, nowadays, the Western diet resembles more of a 15:1 ratio, a ratio which may promote inflammatory diseases.
Omega-3s are important for skin health, healthy weight, and hormonal balance — in addition to myriad other processes — and are actually an intricate part of the cell membranes throughout your body. In order to bring more fatty acid balance into your life, this pudding is certainly a delicious and nutritious way to go. Mix together some superfoods, and you get this dreamy, super creamy, incredibly satisfying chia pudding recipe that’ll satisfy your sweet tooth while making you healthier for the future!
Creamy Power Pudding
- 1 can organic coconut milk
- 2 cups unsweetened flax milk
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 Tablespoons organic chia seeds
- fresh fruit (peaches, berries, bananas, mango, et cetera)
- Combine all ingredients except chia and fruit in a blender and process until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a glass container. Stir in chia and chopped fruit (if using). Be sure to break up any chia clumps.
- Cover and let sit in fridge overnight. Enjoy the next day!
To reduce overconsumption of omega-6s, cut back on processed foods, which often contain a lot of inflammatory polyunsaturated fatty acids in the form of vegetable oils. By sticking to tasty, wholesome foods, keeping your fatty acid ratio in balance should be a cinch!