In-Season Fruit & Vegetable Recipes for June
We can’t be the only ones celebrating that our weekends can now include a trip to the farmers market to grab the best produce the season has to offer. The only thing better than the R&R that naturally comes with summer is the bounty of fruits and vegetables that comes with it. The colors, aromas, and flavors make each meal more and more delicious.
The first day of summer isn’t scheduled until June 21, but its produce is already coming in to season in many parts of the country. Eating seasonally offers many benefits, including supporting the local farmers and thereby the local economy, reducing the carbon footprint of your food because it travels less miles from farm to plate, and the flavor and freshness can’t be beat.
Here are the in-season fruits and vegetables for June, and a few recipes to help you enjoy them.
Vegetables: asparagus, artichokes, salad greens, new potatoes, and green beans.
Fruits: strawberries, gooseberries, cherries, and grapes.
- Strawberry Salsa
- Roasted Asparagus and Mushrooms with Rosemary
- Red Potato Salad with Green Beans
- Vegan Cherry Crisp Recipe
1/2 pound artichokes, peeled
3 cup chicken (or vegetable) broth, divided
4 Tbs. light cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place artichokes in a saucepan and cover with cold water
2. Bring to a boil
3. Cover and simmer until completely soft
4. Cool in the liquid, then drain
5. Place the artichokes in a blender or food processor, add half of the broth and puree until smooth
6. Gradually add remaining stock
7. Stir in light cream and season to taste
Outside of the garden, seafood like crab and lobster are at their best, and can be the centerpiece of an indulgent backyard meal.