It’s bell pepper season in the garden, and this is one gorgeous way to enjoy them. Zesty jalapeno chiles, tomatoes, garlic and fresh lime juice add real snap and verve to this rich and flavorful soup bursting with vitamins and immune-enhancing nutrition.
The fiery orange-red color and intense flavor make it a great choice for guests. Who knew gourmet cooking could be this easy?
4 cups vegetable broth
2 jalapeno chiles, split lengthwise, deveined and seeded
1 large red potato, peeled and chopped
4 plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 large garlic cloves, crushed
4 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
Salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup heavy cream
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1 cup sour cream, garnish
Chopped fresh cilantro, garnish
1. Place the broth in a large saucepan. Add the chiles, potatoes, and tomatoes. Bring to a low boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, 20 minutes. Remove the chiles.
2. In a large frying pan, heat the oil over medium heat. Saute the garlic and peppers 10-15 minutes, or until soft.
3. Combine the garlic and peppers with the broth, potatoes, and tomatoes in a blender. Process until smooth.
4. Return the mixture to the saucepan and season with salt and pepper. Add the milk and cream, blending thoroughly. Reheat over low heat, so the soup does not boil. Add the lime zest and juice.
5. Transfer to individual serving bowls. Garnish with a spoonful of sour cream and cilantro.