- Yield :†12-15
- Prep Time :†10m
- Cook Time :†35m
- Ready In :†45m
These little patties are so simple to whip up, amazingly versatile, and almost fool-proof. They are great on top of a salad, as an appetizer with a nice avocado mayo, or make them slightly larger and serve on a bun as a tasty veggie burger.† To boot, they are extremely nutritious, filled with lentils and amaranth which are packed with plant protein, and both of which are great for metabolism and heart health. A good dose of parsley adds a punch of Vitamin K (77% of your daily needs in 1 tablespoon!) Amaranth is carried in most food stores with a bulk section, near the quinoa. It is very similar to quinoa nutritionally, with a complete protein profile of all amino acids, but itís about†half the price and easy to digest. If you canít find it, quinoa will work in these as well. Give it a try!
- 1/2 cup amaranth, (uncooked)
- 1/2 cup red lentils (uncooked)
- 2 cups water
- 1 medium russet potato, grated
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1 Tbsp mustard
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 2 Tbsp rice flour (or wheat flour)
- 2 Tbsp coarse cornmeal (or regular)
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp neutral oil (avocado, grape seed, canola)
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place 1-2 Tbsp of neutral high heat oil (avocado, organic canola, grape seed) on a baking sheet and spread evenly.
2. In a medium pot, place amaranth, lentils and 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, cover pot, and reduce to a simmer. Let cook undisturbed for 10-15 minutes until water is absorbed and amaranth and lentils are cooked. It will be porridgey, let it cool.
3. While amaranth is cooking, grate the potato into a large mixing bowl. With your hands squeeze the shredded potato over sink to release excess water. Return to bowl and add chopped onion, garlic, and parsley. Add cooked amaranth/lentil mixture and mix well with your hands. Add mustard, ketchup, spices, cornmeal and rice flour. Mix well.
4. Form into small patties, then place them on baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy. Top with dallops of avocado mayo (avocado mashed into vegan mayo) and enjoy!