Relax with a Seashell – Meditation
Many of us make a pilgrimage to the beach around this time of year, and most of us just cant resist picking up a seashell or two to keep. This simple, soothing meditation can be done with one of those magical finds, or with one youve bought from a store, or even with just a picture of a special shell.
Any way you do it, the end result is a deeper sense of calm and relaxation.
1. Choose a time when you can be undisturbed for 5-10 minutes.
2. Place a seashell, or a picture of a seashell, in front of you. Sit quietly and pay attention to your breathing.
3. Gaze at the shell. Move your eyes around its curves.
4. Sense the shell without describing it. When words or judgments pop up, just let them pass.
5. Simply allow your eyes to rest on the shell, and then to follow its shapes and curves.
Adapted from 365 Ways to Relax Mind, Body, and Soul, by Barbara L. Heller (Storey Books, 2000). Copyright (c) 2000 by Barbara L. Heller. Reprinted by permission of Storey Books.
Adapted from 365 Ways to Relax Mind, Body, and Soul, by Barbara L. Heller (Storey Books, 2000).