Roasted (actually lightly pan-fried) sweet potatoes really boost a basic green salad. Easy to make and even better to eat, the sweetness of the sweet potatoes is a great contrast against a savory cilantro dressing. Yum!
Roasted Sweet Potato Salad
- 1 small sweet potato sliced into thin disks
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- Dash of unrefined sea salt
- 2 to 3 cups of mixed salad greens
- Cilantro Dressing (see recipe below)
- In a large frying pan, over low to medium heat, warm half of the coconut oil and add the sweet potato disks in a single layer.
- Cook until golden and flip.
- Cook for another five minutes or until sweet potato disks are cooked through.
- If necessary, cook additional sweet potato disks in another batch using the same instructions.
- In a large bowl, toss the greens with Cilantro Dressing. Place greens in serving dishes, top with sweet potato disks and serve.
This is one of my favorite dressings. It has a rich and unique flavor thanks to the cilantro. But, the cilantro doesn’t just add flavor, it helps alkalize the body and binds to heavy metals like mercury to escort them out. The garlic boosts liver function so it can better metabolize fats. It takes only a couple of minutes to make so there are no excuses for relying on bottled dressings full of preservatives and sugar.
- 1 medium clove of garlic
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp of unrefined sea salt
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
Place all ingredients in a small blender or blend with a hand blender. Mix until blended.
Subscribe to my free e-magazine World’s Healthiest News to receive monthly health news, tips, recipes and more. Follow me on Twitter @mschoffrocook and Facebook. Copyright Michelle Schoffro Cook, PhD.
Adapted with permission from the upcoming book, 60 Seconds to Slim by Michelle Schoffro Cook, PhD.