Are you ready to celebrate spring with a big, healthy salad? Check out these delicious salad recipes that are as satisfying as they are good-for-you.
Spring is here!! Not that I’m doing a happy dance or anything (OK, I am!). Don’t you just love those transitional seasons? If our CSA baskets are anything to go by, we’re still in for at least a few more weeks of fresh, local lettuces, and around here that means salads.
The Ron Swansons out there might think of salad as boring “rabbit food,” but with the right toppings and dressings, you can whip up healthy salads that are anything but.
Creating Killer Salads
To make a salad that feels like a meal, it’s important to combine textures, colors, and even temperatures.
Related Reading: 10 Ways to Spice Up Your Salads
Of course salad’s going to seem boring if you picture a dull bowl of iceburg lettuce with maybe some carrot and cucumber all drowning in ranch dressing. Yuck! Who wants that for supper? I like to compile my salads by choosing ingredients from each of these categories:
- Something crunchy – a nice helping of lettuce, some chopped, raw veggies, etc
- Something fatty – sliced avocado, a handful of toasted nuts, or maybe a tahini dressing instead of a vinaigrette, etc
- Something warm – diced baked potato, baked tofu slices hot out of the oven, caramelized onions, etc
- Something proteiny – beans, tofu, tempeh, nuts, etc
- Something oniony – shallots, diced onion, chopped scallions
- Something sweet – berries, citrus pieces, dried fruit, etc
You don’t have to combine all of these in every salad, but mixing it up like this makes sure you mouth has a surprise with every bite!
Next>> Banh Mi Salad
Image Credit: Remixed Creative Commons photo by photofarmer