It’s a salad… no it’s a taco…. it’s both! This is a fun dish for a warm summer night. It is tasty and not too heavy, but is filling.
3 cups romaine hearts, shredded
1 avocado, cut in small chunks
1 tablespoon diced green chilies
¼ cup corn
¾ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
¼ cup black olives, sliced
8 taco shells
3 cups pinto beans, canned or home cooked
¾ cup water
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup onion, diced
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon chili powder
¼ teaspoon granulated onion
¾ cup Vegenaise*, or healthy mayonnaise of choice
4 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
½ teaspoon granulated onion
1/3 cup water
- To make refried beans, sauté onions in frying pan on medium low in oil. Cook until tender. Stir in garlic and add beans, reduce heat to low. Add water, mash beans with potato masher or wooden spoon. Remove from heat and add seasonings.
- Make sauce by whisking ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine taco salad ingredients in a bowl, except for taco shells.
- Serve taco bar style laying out taco shells, then beans, then salad ingredients. Top with sauce.
Total cooking time: 35 minutes
* Vegenaise is a vegan mayonnaise made by the Follow Your Heart Company. It tastes almost exactly like mayonnaise, especially in salads like above. We use it in all our “mayo” type dressings and just love it. There are a variety of types of Vegenaise, we use the one made with Grapeseed oil. Not only is it eggless, but it also doesn’t have the over-refined sweeteners, fillers, gums or colorings that may be found in regular mayonnaise