The sweetness of the squash really surfaces as it caramelizes while cooking. A wonderful side dish that adds color to any meal.
Yellow Squash Sauté
2 lbs. yellow squash, cut in circles
˝ of a red onion, cut in quarter circles
2 Tablespoons Earth Balance,* butter or ghee
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon sea salt* or any type of salt you prefer
Dash of pepper
1. Heat Earth Balance in frying pan over medium heat. When melted, add olive oil.
2. Add onion and squash to pan and mix briefly. Refrain from stirring for a few minutes, allowing vegetables to caramelize.
3. Stir occasionally until squash softens and starts to lose its shape. Add salt and pepper midway through cooking. (Don’t add salt in the beginning as the squash will release its liquid and diminish the caramelization.)
Serves four to six. Cooking time: 20 minutes.
*Tips from the HeartMath Kitchen:
1. Bragg Liquid Aminos is a certified non-GMO liquid protein concentrate, derived from healthy soybeans.
2. Earth Balance is a vegan butter-like spread made with olive, soybean, canola and palm oils.
3. Sea salt has more minerals than table salt. Quality depends on where it’s from. At the HeartMath Kitchen, we prefer Redmond Sea Salt from Utah or any Himalayan sea salts.