These 10 tips are worth their weight in gold, especially with energy bills being what they are! And they are so brilliantly simple that you’ll find them easy to incorporate without feeling put-upon or strained in any way.
Find out the ten simple cooking tips that will save you some energy in the kitchen, right here:
1. Cover pans while cooking to prevent heat loss.
2. Make sure your pan covers the coil of your range. If you can see coil peeping out from the sides of your pan, you are losing energy and you need a bigger pan!
3. Try one-pot cooking. Stews, soups, and other great peasant meals only take one burner to cook and they are so nourishing and satisfying! We have lots of great one-pot recipes in our Care2 Green Kitchen channels.
4. Just before your food is cooked completely, turn off the oven or burner and allow the heat in the pot or pan to continue the cooking process for you.
5. The less liquid and fat you use, the quicker the cooking time.
6. Always make more food than you plan to use and freeze it for your own “fast food.”
7. Leftovers take less energy to reheat on top of the stove rather than in the oven.
8. Most of us eat a lot of pasta. Make extra, toss with olive oil, and keep in the fridge so you don’t have to heat an entire pot of water to the boiling point every time you want some.
9. If you have one, use a pressure cooker. It really saves on energy.
10. Try using a solar box cooker.
Inspired by The Green Kitchen Handbook, by Annie Berthold-Bond (Harper Perennial, 1997).
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.