2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
2 to 3 cups of any combination of the following diced vegetables: onion, garlic, carrot, bell pepper, celery, potato, mushroom, sweet potato, winter squash, turnip, parsnip, broccoli, or Brussels sprouts
6 cups coarsely chopped greens, such as kale, cabbage, mustard greens, turnip greens, broccoli rabe, or chard
1/2 cup frozen peas or corn
Seasonings to taste: chopped fresh parsley, dried thyme, rosemary, sage, basil, savory, marjoram, or a combination
Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon unbleached or whole wheat flour
1/2 to 1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup shredded cheese (optional)
Your favorite homemade or store-bought crust or 3 cups cooked mashed potatoes
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and add the diced vegetables, sautéing, stirring occasionally, until tender.
3. Add chopped greens and cook briefly to wilt. Add frozen peas or corn and allow to cook through.
4. Add seasonings, then sprinkle vegetables with flour, stirring well and simmering for a few minutes. Add broth, stirring until thickened. Add cheese, if desired.
5. Place ingredients in an oiled deep-dish pie dish. You may use a bottom crust, if you like, and/or a top crust. If you go crustless, top vegetables with mashed potatoes, dotted with butter or drizzled with olive oil, if you like.
6. If using crust, cut a special symbol (a sun is a nice touch) in the top, or use a spoon to swirl a sun or spiral shape in the mashed potatoes.
7. Bake 45 minutes, or until golden, and serve on a platter surrounded with fresh evergreens, if you like.
Serves 4 to 6.