7 Sources of Mold in the Kitchen, and What To Do About Them

Some really unhealthy molds can grow in the kitchen, yet all of them can be stopped before they start, or cleared up and the source removed.

Outside of leaking pipes–or any sources of mold in the structure of the kitchen here are seven common sources of mold in the kitchen, a few of which you may not have considered:

1. THE REFRIGERATOR DRIP TRAY
This tray is easy to forget about, but boy, oh boy, what strange colored molds can grow there! It is found under the fridge-usually behind the fan grate in the front of the fridge at the bottom. Check this two or three times a year.

2. GARBAGE DISPOSAL

All sorts of mold can grow on rotting food in the garbage disposal if you don’t keep it clean. Make sure to run it at least once a day. Pour straight vinegar down into it at least once a week or so (about 3-4 cups).

3. GARBAGE
Try to gauge the size of your garbage cans to be the same size as how much they hold in a day. You want to remove day-old garbage from the kitchen, to avoid mold.

4. INSIDE THE FRIDGE
Make sure to keep old food cleared out from the refrigerator. A weekly sweep of the deeper reaches of the fridge is recommended.

5. COMPOST
One of the biggest mold sources in the kitchen is the compost bucket. Make sure you can remove it every day, and be sure to keep it covered.

6. ROTTING POTATOES
There is nothing worse than rotting potatoes and fruit! Make sure to check room temperature food bins frequently.

7. CUTTING BOARDS
Cutting boards can grow mold quickly and easily. Wash the board once a week with straight household vinegar. Let it set for 10 minutes or so before rinsing!

By Annie B. Bond

18 comments

Peggy A.
Peggy A.2 years ago

Thanks!

Marianne B.
MARIANNE B.3 years ago

Good to know, thanks

Terry V.
Terry V.3 years ago

thank you

Duane B.
.3 years ago

Thank you for sharing.

MarilynNOFWDS TOOBUSY
3 years ago

Use a steam cleaner. It kills mold and bacteria without any chemicals and it takes much longer for new mold to form than it even does when you use bleach.
Get one that is hand held and has at least 1500 watts. It will pay for itself in cash you save on cleaning supplies in a year....and NO chemicals in your home!

Donna Hamilton
Donna Hamilton3 years ago

Thanks for the tips.

Michele Wilkinson

Thank you

K s Goh
KS Goh4 years ago

Thanks for the article.

Jennifer C.
Past Member 4 years ago

Excellent article. Thanks for these great ideas.

kimberly s.
kimberly s.5 years ago

thank you kindly!