10 Health Benefits of Marijuana
Marijuana frequently gets a bad rap. But how much of it is deserved?
After my previous post, “Should Marijuana Be Legalized?“¯ I conducted research to understand the benefits and risks of marijuana. Here are just ten of the many health benefits attributed to the plant, as well as some of the problems associated with its use:
Marijuana can alleviate pain and inflammation linked to arthritis.
Researchers are working to develop new cannabis-based drugs to treat glaucoma pain after determining marijuana’s effectiveness for treating the condition. Glaucoma is a condition that increases pressure inside the eyeball and can lead to vision loss.
7. Lung health
8. Multiple sclerosis
Marijuana contains a minimum of 60 cannabinoids. THC is the primary chemical associated with its mind-altering effects. THC has been used in the treatment of nausea, including drug- or chemotherapy-induced nausea.
10. Parkinson’s Disease
Despite these health benefits, it’s also important to consider the potential health risks of marijuana use:
• Addiction can cause uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms in people who discontinue marijuana use.
• In high doses or in sensitive individuals, marijuana can cause anxiety and paranoia.
• Marijuana may impair memory.
• Mind-altering effects are particularly evident among young and first-time users.
• One study found an increase in risk of heart attack within the first hour of smoking marijuana.
Dr. Michelle Schoffro Cook, PhD, DNM is an international best-selling and 20-time published book author whose works include: Be Your Own Herbalist: Essential Herbs for Health, Beauty & Cooking.
Photo Credit: Mark/Flickr