This simple flouring technique is all the rage in France, where the women are known for their beauty and this easy formula gives them lustrous, manageable hair. Evidently, flour smoothes the scales of the hair shaft. Who knew?
Find out the easy technique for hair so smooth and shiny, you’ll say “magnifique!” No more frizzies!
1/2 cup white spelt flour
1/2 cup barley flour
1 cup distilled water
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 plastic bag that can fit over the hair
1. Sift the flours together in a large bowl.
2. Pour the water and vinegar over the flours and mix well.
1. Spoon the flour mixture onto your dry hair.
2. Smooth the paste all over the hair shafts. (This treatment is for the hair. It is not harmful for the scalp, but the focus is on getting the paste on the individual strands of hair.)
3. Sweep the coated hair up on top of your head and cover with a plastic bag, securing with a hair clip or clothespin.
4. Leave on for 20 to 30 minutes.
5. Remove plastic bag and rinse the mixture off hair thoroughly using cool water. (Hot water will make the flour stick to the hair shafts.)
6. Shampoo as usual, rinsing with cool water.
Adapted from The Herbal Home Spa, by Greta Breedlove (Storey Books, 1998). Copyright (c) 1998 by Greta Breedlove. Reprinted by permission of Storey Books.
Adapted from The Herbal Home Spa, by Greta Breedlove (Storey Books, 1998).