Simple Braised Greens with Garlic
Here is a tribute to the simple cooking of summer: when the liviní is easy, cooking should be easy, too! This deliciously nourishing recipe, filled with heart-healthy, immune-boosting greens, is proof that you can eat inexpensively and well while pleasing your taste buds with seasonal goodness.
Find a Farmerís Market and cook up a mess of fresh greens with gusto and ease!
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 bunches fresh summer greens, about 8 cups, washed and coarsely chopped. This could include a mixture of Asian greens, or mustard, collards, turnip greens, beet greens, kale – any toothy substantial green will do.
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/8 cup water or vegetable broth
- Salt to taste
- Optional flavorings: Sesame oil, ume plum vinegar, tamari
- Optional toppings: sesame seeds, chopped almonds or walnuts, toasted pumpkin seeds
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and add greens and garlic, stirring to coat with oil. Stir occasionally until greens are barely wilted, just a few minutes.
2. Add vegetable broth or water and stir, allowing greens to steam until barely tender. Salt to taste.
3. Add flavorings and toppings as desired and serve.