Smoked cheese gives this recipe its autumnal character, spinach offers lots of eye-loving lutein, mushrooms and a hint of mustard make it piquant and appealing, and the quiche-like cheese and egg custard bakes up into a golden, savory delight.
Smoky Cheese and Spinach Pie is easy to prepare, and it makes a lovely centerpiece to any autumn meal. Just add a salad and you’re all set!
1 9-inch uncooked pie shell
1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese (or asiago, or Romano)
1/2 cup grated smoked cheese
1 cups washed and cut fresh spinach, or 1/2 package frozen spinach, thawed
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup cream (or an additional 1/2 cup milk)
Tabasco sauce (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 425F. Brush uncooked pie shell generously with the Dijon mustard and sprinkle cheeses evenly over that.
2. Cut the stems off the leaves of spinach and slice leaves in 1/4-inch-wide strips.
3. Saute mushrooms over moderate heat for 3 to 4 minutes and add spinach. Continue cooking until spinach has softened. Spread mushrooms and spinach on top of cheese.
4. Beat the eggs in a bowl and whisk in the milk, cream, and a touch of Tabasco. (You can use all milk, if you prefer.) Pour over the vegetables.
5. Bake for 15 minutes at 425F, then lower heat to 300F. Continue baking 25 to 30 minutes, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before slicing.
Serves 6 to 8.
Adapted from The Tassajara Recipe Book, by Edward Espe Brown (Shambhala, 2000). COpyright (c) 2000 by Edward Espe Brown. Reprinted by permission of Shambhala.
Adapted from The Tassajara Recipe Book, by Edward Espe Brown (Shambhala, 2000).