Soothing Lavender Facial Steam
Holidays can be exhausting. Why not shut out the world for a while and breathe deeply of this relaxing and hydrating herbal steam facial?
Steam opens the pores while deeply cleansing and rejuvenating all the skinís layers. Using lavender in your facial steam is a wonderful way to nourish your skin.
All you need to make your own natural facial is a pot of water, a method of heating the water, and a towel. The lavender is infused in the water so that its emollient, softening, lubricating, and moisturizing benefits will become part of the steam and reach deep into your pores. The scent is aroma-therapeutic, too–relaxing and anti-stress. Another benefit of lavender is that it is antibacterial and anti-inflammatory.
Here are the simple steps to make your own facial steam:
1. Place a handful of dried lavender in a pot of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes, adding water as needed.
2. Secure your hair back from your face.
3. Wash your face as usual.
4. Place the pot with the steaming water on a trivet or potholder on a table or countertop. Make a tent over your head with a towel, and hang your head over the steaming pot. Make sure not to lean close enough to the steam to scald yourself.
5. Keep your face in the steam tent for about 5 minutes.
6. Rinse your face with cool water.
7. Follow with an astringent (for example, witch hazel) to close the pores.
By Annie B. Bond