Spiced Roasted Chickpeas
Makes a medium-sized bowl
* 3 cans chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
* 3 Tbsp olive oil
* 1-2 large cloves of garlic, pressed (optional)
* 1 – 1 1/2 tsp ground spice (any of these would be good: garam masala, curry powder, chili powder, ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked paprika)
* Sea salt to taste
* Lime juice (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Rinse the chickpeas well with cold water, removing any loose skins, and drain in a colander for 5 minutes. Pat them dry with a dish towel.
2. Pour them out onto a thick cookie sheet, toss with the olive oil (and garlic, if you’re using that) to coat and then make sure they’re in a single layer, you want them all to get equal cooking time/heat. Put them in the oven.
3. Roast, shaking the pan to ensure even cooking, one or two times, for roughly 40 minutes (they may need a little more or less time – just check!), until they begin to look lightly browned and split apart.
4. Remove from the oven and toss the hot beans with the spice mix and salt. Taste them and see if you want to adjust the seasonings at all. Serve warm or cold. You can try squirting a little lime juice on them before serving if that goes well with your spice mix.
You might also like:
- Spicy Sweet Moroccan Chickpea Spread With Blood Orange & Chipotle
- Spiced Candied Pecans
- Sriracha Deviled Eggs With Cilantro & Scallions
- Pickled Beets With Cumin & Cloves