How many ways do you know how to prepare tofu? Most of us have our standard repertoire, but it’s always great to add some new tricks to the bag. This recipe combines a surprising mix of flavors that turns out a sweet and savory dish that gives tofu a new lease on life. Serves 4 to 6
Spicy Curry Marinade
2 tablespoons tamari sauce
1 tablespoon fresh lemon or lime juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
2 teaspoons curry powder
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
1 cake firm tofu, drained and cut into squares
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion or 3 scallions, sliced
3 carrots, sliced on an angle
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1/2 cup sliced dried apricots
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1. Combine marinade ingredients in a medium bowl. Add tofu cubes, tossing lightly once to coat. Let marinate 1 hour or longer.
2. Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Add onion or scallions, and saute 3 minutes.
3. Add carrots and garlic, and cook 2 minutes, making sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
4. Drain the tofu from the marinade.
5. Add tofu to pan, and cook until heated through. Add apricots and almonds, and cook 3 more minutes. Serve over white basmati rice.
nutrition info per serving (4): 292 calories; 19 g fat; 2 g saturated fat; 0 mg cholesterol; 15 g protein; 22 g carbohydrates; 3 g fiber; 506 mg sodium