Spinach & Sweet Potato Curry (Recipe)
Delve deep into the spice rack for this tasty curry.
Spinach & Sweet Potato Curry
- 2 Tablespoons canola oil
- 1 Tablespoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 Cup chopped white onion
- 2 Teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 Teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 Teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled & cut into about 1 inch cubes
- 1 Pound spinach, rinsed, stems removed & chopped roughly
1. In a large skillet over medium high heat, heat canola oil. When it’s shimmering, stir in cumin seeds with a wooden spoon. Stir constantly for about 15-20 seconds, or until fragrant. Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook for an additional 5 minutes, or until the onion has browned lightly.
2. Stir in cayenne, paprika, cardamom, cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine. Add cubed sweet potato and stir, coating in the spices. Stir in 1 cup of water and deglaze saucepan, using the spoon to dislodge any brown stuff on the bottom. Turn the heat down to medium low and cover. Cook for about 12-15 minutes, removing cover to stir every so often, until the sweet potatoes are tender.
3. Turn the heat up to medium and uncover. Stir the curry frequently until the spice sauce thickens. Stir in a handful of spinach at a time, stirring until the leaves have wilted, until you’ve added all of the spinach. Adjust salt to taste. Serve over rice.
Recipe Credit: Serious Eats