Springtime Sangria (Recipe)
No need to spend a fortune on sparkling wine — cheap bottles do just fine here! Make this sangria just before serving.
- 1/4 Cup sugar
- 2 Stalks rhubarb, cut into 1/2″ pieces
- Juice from 1 orange (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 Orange, halved then cut into 1/4″ slices
- 1 Pint strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 4 Cups chilled seltzer
- 1 Bottle chilled sparkling wine
1. Make simple syrup. Combine sugar and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in rhubarb, then transfer to a heatproof bowl so the mixture can cool. Let it come to room temperature.
2. While the simple syrup is cooling, place orange juice, orange slices and hulled strawberries in a pitcher or large punch bowl. Stir in the cooled rhubarb simple syrup, along with the seltzer and sparkling wine. Fill to the top with ice to keep chilled.
Recipe Credit: Martha Stewart.