Our homes take on the energetic imprinting from all that happens in our lives according to the ancient teaching of Feng Shui. A powerful way to set the stage for an auspicious new year is to clear out the old and start with fresh new energy in your home. New Year’s day or the time around New Year’s is one of the most powerful times to purge your home of the old energies that have collected throughout the year, setting the stage for fresh new auspicious beginnings.
Ancient civilizations have always acknowledged hidden energies and have rituals for dispelling the stagnant or old energies and bringing in the new. These are the energies we can’t see but feel. You have heard the expression ‘You could have cut the energy in the room with a knife’ – perhaps referring to coming into a room where people have been arguing. You may not see this energy but you do feel it.
You may be familiar with the Native American practice of using dry sage “smudge” sticks to clear negative or denser energy from spaces. The physical act of lighting the sage, combined with purposeful prayer and intention is what gives it the energy to clear the space.
Feng Shui teaches that our homes are a compilation of energies. They come from the objects we have chosen to put in them — our interactions with these objects and the emotions we experienced and expressed while living there. These energies collect in solid substances like furniture and fabrics and need to be cleared periodically. If not, they will anchor in old patterns that may not be reflecting what we truly desire in our lives. Because of this it is also important to do a space clearing when moving into a new living space or office, in order to not be affected by the energetic imprinting from prior occupants.
There are many ways to do a space clearing. I will be sharing with you a Major Space Clearing technique that I teach to my own students at the Academy of Feng Shui.
MINI SPACE CLEARING: You can modify this and do a mini space clearing simply by opening the windows (weather permitting), washing your hands, lighting sage and/or incense, then walking around your home using a loud bell, drum, rattle or gong, putting you intention into clearing away all old energies. When you are finished, do a prayer of intention for what it is you want to bring into your home and life for the new year.
How to do a Major Space Clearing
- Start with taking a shower. You want to start fresh and end fresh. When you finish the space clearing take another shower that evening, washing your hair again along with your clothes. Energies collect on fabrics and you want to ensure you are not keeping any of the residue of old energies.
- Thoroughly clean your home and open all windows and cupboards and drawers. If you live in a very cold climate at least open your windows for the main part of the space clearing. Fresh air is always a natural space clearer!
- It is best to remove all animals, children, and invalids from the premises. If it is not possible for you do do this, do the smaller mini space clearing version (above) and it will still be effective. Animals and children are very sensitive to energy and large amounts of it can strongly affect them. (I am assuming if you are taking the children and/or animals out, you will make sure they have a safe place to be. You will need approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour.)
- Prepare a bowl filled with water for each room of your home. Float nine flowers in each bowl. The flowers can come from your garden or the store. Choose small ones that you can pop the heads off and easily float on top. You can also use nine petals from a flower. Nine signifying the magical number of the Bagua, a map we use in Feng Shui to chart the key energy centers in our home.
- Put one bowl of flowers, a stick of lit incense and a small lit votive candle in every room of your home including the garage.
- Choose your space-clearing tool. It can be a loud bell, drum, rattle or gong. There are bells you can purchase which have four types of metals that are specifically used for space clearing. I prefer to use a bell because it will make a noticeable thud when encountering areas where the chi is stuck.
- Stand at the front door with your space-clearing tool. Do a grounding exercise where you visualize roots coming from the bottom of your feet going deep into the earth. Pull this loamy brown earth energy up through your torso feeling the rooted grounded energy in your body.
- Call in your spiritual guides and say a prayer of protection and intention that all past energies be completely removed from the premises and do not enter into anything and anyone on the way out.
- Starting at the front door, go around your home counter-clockwise, using your space-clearing tool of choice. If you use a bell, ring it up and down the wall as you walk slowly around the room. Then move on to the next room. Tune into the energy and see if you can feel where the more stuck areas are located. You may want to go around again in these areas.
- Visualize the stuck energy releasing from the ceiling and walls and furniture and moving out the windows.
- When you are finished with the entire house, go back around each room from the same counter clockwise direction, and smooth the energy by using softer bells, a smudge or rain stick. You can use your hands to make “smoothing” gestures to move the energy out of the room and “calm down” the existing energy.
- End back at the front door. Say a prayer releasing and thanking your guides, intending for the space to continue to be protected and blessed.
- Bring the children and pets back in.
- Let the energy sit an hour or more, keeping the window open as long as possible.
- Then gather all the bowls of water and flowers and pour them together into a bucket. It is very important to not touch the water or let any little people or critters drink it. This is one of the vehicles for the dense energies to go into and is powerful stuff. Pour the water with the flowers somewhere off your property. You can put it down the gutter, it is all biodegradable and won’t harm the environment, but it should be entirely off your own property.
- Finish by standing in each energy center of your home and saying an affirmation about that area of your life. Speak it out loud, in gratitude, with enthusiasm and in present tense, as if it is true now! (See my article on how to locate these energy centers).
Clearing out the old and bringing in the new energies with purpose, intention and passion will set up an energy grid in your home that will help move your life into an auspicious and powerful new direction for 2013. Have a Blessed New Year!
Erica Sofrina is a Nationally recognized speaker, teacher and author and the Founder of the Academy of Feng Shui with facilities in N. California and Ft. Lauderdale Florida. This information is from her book: Small Changes, Dynamic Results! Feng Shui for the Western World.