We’re still weeks away from fresh strawberry heaven, but this charmingly simple recipe enlists the help of fruit-sweetened strawberry jam to make a mouthwatering dessert that foretells all the pleasures of late spring and early summer.
3/4 cup flour
1 teaspoon xylitol (a form of sugar that occurs naturally in some foods)
1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
5 tablespoons butter
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 tablespoons ice water
1/2 cup fruit-sweetened strawberry fruit spread
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Mix the flour, xylitol, and lemon peel in a food processor or bowl. Add the butter and pulse or cut with a pastry cutter or two knives until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add the salt. Add the water and continue to pulse or mix until the mixture forms clumps.
3. Gather the dough into a ball, flatten it into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm, about one hour.
4. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and make whatever shape or shapes you like. Fill the crust with strawberry fruit spread and sprinkle chopped almonds over the top.
5. Bake until the crust is golden. Time will depend on size, about 15-30 minutes.
6. Allow to cool before serving. Dust with powdered evaporated cane juice (sold as “organic” powdered sugar), if you like.
Serves 2 to 4.