This is one of the most mouth-watering early-summer desserts ever. When Cait’s son was small, he could hardly wait for the rhubarb to come up in their garden so she could make this pie–and he never knew or cared that this heavenly strawberry-rhubarb creation is made without any dairy, and with only honey as a sweetener. Thatís how great it is!
Get ready for a divine taste of the summer season to come.
1 double pie shell
4 cups fresh rhubarb, sliced into 3/4-inch pieces
1 cup honey
6 tablespoons arrowroot
2 cups thickly sliced fresh strawberries
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons unbleached white flour
1. Fit bottom crust into a 10-inch pie plate. Refrigerate the dough and rolled-out crust.
2. Put sliced rhubarb into a colander with a bowl underneath. Pour honey over rhubarb and allow to drain 1 hour. In a saucepan, mix arrowroot with half of the drained honey. Heat until thickened over low heat, then add the rest of the honey.
3. Preheat oven to 350F.
4. Mix rhubarb and strawberries together in bowl. Add honey mixture along with cinnamon and flour. Gently toss to mix.
5. Pour into prepared pie shell. Roll out top crust and place on top. Join crusts, fluting edges. Slash top so steam can escape.
6. Bake one hour in preheated oven. Allow to cool, then refrigerate a few hours to set (if you can stand to wait that long).
Serves 8 to 10.
Inspired by Horn of the Moon Cookbook by Ginny Callan (Harper and Row, 1987).
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.