The aroma of this spicy pumpkin cake baking has to rank right up there on the Top Ten Fragrances of Fall list: it’s so mouth-watering and homey. And just wait until you taste it!
Serve this versatile treat for breakfast, dessert, or your coffee break snack: Sugar Pumpkin Spice Cake filled with plump juicy raisins and spices offers all the pleasures of fall. Pumpkins aren’t just for pie anymore!
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup water, boiling
- 1 tablespoon hazelnut liquor or brandy
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger root, peeled and freshly grated
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts or almonds, roughly crushed
1. Preheat oven to 325F.
2. Place raisins in a bowl and pour the boiling water and liquor or brandy over them. Set aside and allow them to plump 15 to 20 minutes. Drain and reserve any excess liquid.
2. Spray a 9-inch cake pan (either round or square) with nonstick spray. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, cardamom and pepper. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the eggs and honey until light and fluffy. With the mixer running, slowly beat in the oil. Beat in the dry ingredients, constantly scraping down the sides of the bowl. Add the pumpkin puree and beat until smooth. Stir in the nuts and raisins.
3. Pour batter into the prepared pan and bake until golden brown and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 to 40 minutes. Allow cake to cool slightly, then unmold the cake, place on a cake rack and allow to cool completely.