Summer Squash, Yogurt & Tahini Dip (Recipe)
This dip practically screams summer. Serve it with pita bread or any crusty bread.
Summer Squash, Yogurt & Tahini Dip
- 1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup chopped summer squash
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon cumin seeds, lightly toasted and ground
- 1 Tablespoon tahini, well-blended
- 1 Clove garlic
- 2 Teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 Cup Greek yogurt
- Ground cumin for garnish
1. In a small skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Add in the summer squash and cook, stirring often, until all of the liquid has evaporated and the squash is soft, about 10 minutes. Season with some salt and pepper to taste. Let cool for a few minutes.
2. Add the garlic clove and a pinch or two of salt to a mortar and pestle. Mash into a paste. Add the squash and continue mashing until it’s a rough puree. Add tahini, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon cold water in a medium bowl. Stir until the mixture is smooth. Stir in yogurt and continue stirring. Add the squash-garlic mixture, and stir again so it’s well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer dip to a serving bowl and leave out, at room temperature, for at least an hour. Sprinkle on some ground cumin to garnish.
Recipe Credit: The New York Times.