Super Spinach Enchiladas
These enchiladas are a favorite recipe here at HeartMath. They have a lot of flavor and a great texture. You can add more spice if you like, with salsa or hot sauce but they are mild in this recipe. A real crowd pleaser!!
1 cup sweet onion, chopped
2 tablespoons green chilies, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
˝ cup tomatillos, canned drained and chopped
2 cups frozen spinach, squeezed but not too dry
2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
1 tablespoon jalapeno jar juice
1 ˝ teaspoons sea salt
˝ teaspoon pepper
˝ teaspoon granulated onion
˝ teaspoon granulated garlic
2 cups enchiladas sauce
3 tablespoons tomato sauce
1 teaspoon coconut sugar
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
12 corn tortillas
1 cup olive oil (1/3 for frying veggies and 2/3 for frying tortillas)
3 cups Monterey jack cheese
- Spray or oil pan and set aside.
- In a frying pan cook onion, green chilies and garlic in olive oil for five minutes. Add the chopped tomatillos and spinach and heat on low medium heat. Add seasonings, cilantro and jalapeno juice.
- Lightly fry corn tortillas. Do not overcook. Cook on medium low heat about 10 seconds per side.
- In a medium bowl mix enchiladas sauce, tomato sauce, sugar and seasonings. Whisk together well. Ladle a layer of sauce into pan.
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Dip tortillas in sauce and drip off excess. Layer in 2 tablespoons of spinach mixture and 2 tablespoons of cheese. Roll gently with seam side down. Continue until you have used all your tortillas. Add remaining sauce on top and remaining cheese. Cover and heat for 30 minutes or until heated thru.
Total cooking time: 1 hour 15 minutes