How to Seed a Pomegranate
Seeding a pomegranate can be a hot mess unless you know what you’re doing.
The delicate seeds produce juice that gets all over the cutting board if you put too much pressure on them, but the fruit’s inner membrane makes it tough to get at those seeds any other way. Luckily, Chef John at Food Wishes worked out a technique to help you seed those pomegranates without making a huge mess of your kitchen. Check it:
Pomegranate seeds are delicious to snack on by themselves, but it’s also fun to mix things up, right?
10 Delicious Pomegranate Recipes
1. Pomegranate Molasses Vinaigrette – Sure, you can sprinkle pomegranate seeds right onto your salad, but you can also use it to make a delicious salad dressing.
2. Persian Olive, Walnut, and Pomegranate Tapenade – Dip flat bread or fresh veggies into this yummy, nutrient-rich appetizer.
3. Shiitake and Date Stuffed Baby Eggplant – An orange and pomegranate juice reduction is the star of this hearty main dish.
4. Pomegranate Braised Leeks – Spice up your braised leeks with some pomegranate power!
5. Pomegranate Molasses – You can use pomegranate molasses in all kinds of recipes, from salad dressings and sauces to cocktails.
6. Mango Pomegranate Guacamole – You might not think of fruit as a good addition to guacamole, but sweet mango and tangy pomegranate pair up swimmingly with avocado’s rich flavor.
7. Pomegranate Pilaf – Use veggie stock in place of chicken broth to make this hearty side dish into a vegan recipe.
8. Roasted Red Pepper and Walnut Dip with Pomegranate – This makes a tasty appetizer or a spread for sandwiches.
9. Pomegranate Cosmo – Make your next shindig every so slightly more healthy by spiking your signature cocktail with pomegranate juice. With new research showing that a drink a day might help improve bone health, that pomegranate cocktail might just do you good. In moderation, that is.
10. Roasted Red Onions with Pomegranate, Orange, and Parsley Gremolata – Serve this up as a side dish or on top of a field green salad. Yum!
Do you have a favorite pomegranate recipe? I’d love to hear what you’re cooking with this superfood!