Superfood: 10 Quinoa Recipes
Quinoa is more than just a delicious side dish. It’s also a superfood that’s packed with nutrients! Check out the health benefits of quinoa and some delicious recipe ideas to help you include more of this superfood in your diet.
All About Quinoa: Health Benefits
An ancient grain that’s a little bit chewy, a little bit crunchy, and adds a nutty flavor to any meal, quinoa is a whole grain and one of the few plant foods that’s a complete protein, meaning it provides all of the essential amino acids that your body needs. It’s also an excellent source of minerals like:
- calcium for bone health
- phosphorus, which also contributes to healthy bones as well as maintaining hormone balance and for cell repair
- magnesium, which helps your body absorb calcium to improve bone health and can also help women reduce PMS symptoms
- potassium for healthier muscles and kidneys and to protect your body against stroke, high blood pressure, and anxiety
- copper to help your body absorb iron
- zinc, a mineral that supports a healthy immune system
- iron for healthy blood and to prevent anemia
It’s also high in fiber, which aids digestion and is important for heart health.
So, how can you work a little more quinoa into your diet? Check out some delicious quinoa recipes on the next page!
Related Reading>> Superfood: 10 Tasty Kale Recipes
All About Quinoa: Quinoa Recipes
Want to start eating more quinoa but aren’t sure how to prepare it? Don’t fret! This grain is easy as pie to make. In fact, if you have a rice cooker you can use that tool to take any guesswork out of preparing your quinoa.
To make basic quinoa, start by rinsing the grain and letting it drain, then combine two cups of water for every cup of quinoa in your pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover the pot and simmer for 12-15 minutes until all of the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat and let the quinoa stand for another five minutes before serving.
Related Reading>> Superfood: 10 Chia Recipes
Of course, if you’re going to really up the ante, you want to go beyond basics. Here are some super yummy quinoa recipes.
1. Quinoa Vegetable Paella – Who says paella has to be all about rice? Fat Free Vegan Kitchen shows you how to make a tasty veggie paella starring quinoa.
2. Quinoa Cookies – Quinoa doesn’t have to be relegated to savory recipes only. These awesome cookies are a decadent way to get more of this superfood into your diet.
3. Lemon Coconut Quinoa with Ginger Hummus – This is a gluten-free quinoa recipe that’s sure to please.
4. Acorn Squash Stuffed with Red Quinoa – Red quinoa has a deeper, earthier flavor than typical quinoa, but you can substitute one for the other in this recipe if you have a hard time finding red quinoa.
5. Avocado Quinoa – This quickie dish is packed with veggies for even more nutritional oomph.
Need more quinoa recipe ideas? Check out the rest of the recipes – and find out how the heck you pronounce quinoa – on the next page!
All About Quinoa: More Quinoa Recipes
If you’re new to eating quinoa, don’t shy away from ordering it up because it seems hard to pronounce! I ate quinoa for years while totally butchering the word until a savvy friend corrected me. It’s pronounced: KEEN-wah.
6. Quinoa Chili – Between the whole grains and tasty beans, this healthy chili is full of protein.
7. Quinoa Black Bean Burrito Bowl – Who needs rice when you can use quinoa as the base in a healthy burrito bowl?
8. Quinoa Salad – Keep it light by tossing cooked quinoa with a mix of fresh and steamed veggies.
9. Warm Quinoa Breakfast Cereal – Take a break from the oatmeal and try a comforting bowl of quinoa, dried fruit, and nuts instead!
10. Quinoa Loaf – For a hearty supper, try this veggie loaf packed with quinoa, beans, and veggies.
Do you have a favorite way to prepare quinoa? I’d love to hear your ideas in the comments!