Wax paper is a kitchen standby for its ingenious ability to keep foods from sticking. This application can be used on so much more than your freshly baked batch of cookies, though. From speeding up snow shoveling time to getting a zipper unstuck, click through to check out some creative ways to use wax paper. Have a tip of your own? Tell us about it in the comments.
Clean the Kitchen!
1. Clean a Can Opener. Run some wax paper through the gears of the can opener — it’ll loosen up any debris and help the gears run more smoothly.
2. Keep Wooden Salad Bowls in Great Shape. After washing and drying wooden salad bowls, real them up by rubbing the wood with wax paper.
3. Easily Clean up the Tops of Cabinets and the Fridge. Line these out-of-sight and hard to reach areas with wax paper. Instead of dusting and scrubbing up there, just replace the wax paper once a month.
4. Keep a Wooden Cutting Board Clean. If you are a meat eater, line a wooden cutting board with wax paper before placing raw meat on it. The wax paper will prevent juices from seeping into the board.
5. Protect the Fridge. Line the drawers with wax paper to catch any spills or grime. Replace every month or two and say goodbye to cleaning!
Food & Drink.
6. Re-cork a Wine Bottle. Re-corking wine can be a total pain — the cork expands when it is exposed to air. To remedy that, rub the cork with some wax paper, which will provide the much-needed lubrication to get the cork back in.
7. Fill Spice Jars with Ease. Herbs and spices can be expensive, so it’s great to save as much of them as possible. Fashion wax paper into a funnel to painlessly fill your spice jars without all the mess.
8. Stop Microwave Splatter. Messy microwaves are the worst! Put a sheet of wax paper over your food to stop the splattering.
9. Keep Cheese Fresh. Extend the shelf life of your cheese by storing it in wax paper, not the plastic it comes in. After you line it with wax paper, line it again with tin foil.
See Also: 12 Ways to Use Leeks
Around the House.
10. Use in Place of Swiffer Sheets. if you’ve run out of dry sheets for your swifter, use wax paper instead. Cheaper and just as effective!
11. Shine up Fixtures Fixtures. Rub chrome fixtures with wax paper after cleaning. The wax will coat the fixtures and prevent water stains.
12. Stop a Door from Sticking. Rub a sheet of wax paper along the edge of the door. It help stop it from jamming in the frame.
13. Protect Colored Candles. To stop the dye in candles from bleeding, store them wrapped in wax paper.
14. Lubricated Clothing. Curtain and Shower Rods. Stop all that annoying squeaking by rubbing the rod with wax paper.
Also Check Out: 8 Great Cleaning Shortcuts (Slideshow)
More Great Uses.
15. Clean Gardening Tools. Ball up some wax paper and rub it on your gardening tools to loosen grim and prevent rust.
16. Set a Stuck Zipper Free. Lightly rub the zipper’s teeth with wax paper. It’ll help lubricate it.
17. Make Snow Shoveling Easier. Who doesn’t want to cut snow shoveling time down? Rub the shovel with wax paper before shoveling to help prevent the snow from sticking.
18. Protect Delicate Fabrics. Want to keep your wedding dress around for decades? Wrap it and your other treasured clothing items in wax paper — it will stop light from damaging the fabric.
19. Protect Drawers in Your Workshop, Art Studio, or Crafting Space. Line drawers with wax paper to prevent them from getting dusty, greasy or oily. Change the paper out every couple of months.
20. Preserve Paint. Haven’t used the whole can of paint yet? Put wax paper over the top of the can to help it last longer.