Sustain-a-Quote For Sustainable Home Design
Designers like to have the absolute last word. One only has to watch the reality TV design shows to see how far self-assurance will get you in the design field. Wishy-washy designers don’t make the cut – Auf Wiedersehen. As more and more designers are choosing to use eco-friendly furnishings and materials, they put their ethical intentions into action for the betterment of the planet.
So, it’s not so surprising that the rock stars of the design world, along with some rookies and long deceased designers, have something to say about sustainable design.
Here is a collection of sustainable design quotes with staying power, from architects, furniture, graphic, product, interior, fashion and industrial designers.
1. “Design is a response to social change.” George Nelson
2. “Design means being good, not just looking good.” Clement Mok
3. “A designer is an emerging synthesis of artist, inventor mechanic, objective economist and evolutionary strategist.” Buckminster Fuller
4. “Design is a field of concern, response, and enquiry as often as decision and consequence.” Norman Potter
5. “What works good is better than what looks good. Because what works good lasts.” Ray Eames
6. “If it is not useful or necessary, free yourself from imagining that you need it. If it both useful and necessary and you can recognize and eliminate what is not essential, then go ahead and make it as beautifully as you can.” Shaker Designers
7. “Every design ought to be sustainable design, meaning something people refuse to trash” Satyendra Pakhale
8. “Always design a thing by considering it in its next larger context – a chair in a room, a room in a house, a house in an environment, an environment in a city plan.” Eliel Saarinen
9. “It’s (sustainable design) the most modern thing you can do. It’s just the way I work – fashion isn’t separate from the rest of your life.” Stella McCartney
10. “A house that favors quality of design over quantity of space satisfies people far more than…those characteristics in reverse.” Susan Susanka
11. “Sustainable design gives an authentic value to the consumer.” Katarina Graffman
12. “Sustainability takes forever. And that’s the point.” William Mc Donough
Now it’s your turn. Add your sustain-a-quote below.