As we all suffer at the gas pumps, and with summer travel season right around the corner, the idea of sustainable transportation is indeed an attractive one. In the here and now, sustainable transportation basically comes down to vehicles. What can a mobility-loving, energy-conscientious individual do?
• Drive a vehicle that gets good gas mileage.
• Drive a vehicle that can burn biodiesel or ethanol.
• Buy a hybrid gas-electric vehicle.
• Consider getting an electric vehicle.
• Take advantage of carpooling or car sharing in communities where that system exists.
• Walk or ride your bike for a commuting change.
• Plant trees to offset your personal CO2 emissions.
Adapted from Solar Living Source Book: Your Complete Guide to Renewable Energy Technologies and Sustainable Living by John Schaeffer (New Society Publishers, 2008).
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.