Swiss Chard & Goat Cheese Baked Pasta (Recipe)
Swiss Chard & Goat Cheese Baked Pasta
- 2 Cups tomato sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 3 Ounce soft, mild goat cheese
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 Large bunch Swiss chard, stems removed and washed
- 12 Ounces whole wheat penne
- 1 1/2 Ounces freshly grated parmesan, divided
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
1. Prepare tomato sauce to your liking. Or, you you choose, you can use a pre made tomato sauce and heat it on the stove. Either way, when your heated sauce is ready, transfer it to a large bowl, and stir in goat cheese. Set aside for now.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2-quart baking dish with olive oil.
3. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Place a bowl of ice water next to the stovetop. Place chard in boiling water, and blanch for 1-2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, immediately transfer chard to the ice water, and drain, squeezing out any excess water. Chop the chard finely and stir into the tomato sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Bring the pot of water back to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions, knocking off one minute of the suggested time so the pasta is al dente. Strain the pasta, and transfer to the bowl with sauce. Stir in half of the parmesan and coat pasta with sauce. Transfer pasta to the prepared baking dish. Add remaining parmesan to the top of the dish, and drizzle with a little olive oil.
5. Bake for 30 minutes, until the casserole is bubbly. Let stand for 5-10 minuets before enjoying.
Recipe Credit: New York Times.