Light and airy, these Cheddar Puffs are a perfect party appetizer.
YIELD 60 pieces
PREP 5 mins COOK 20 mins
Be sure to cook the water, butter, flour mixture until it’s difficult to stir and it forms a ball-like mass.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 to 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 10 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar (about 3 cups)
- 6 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Combine butter, water, sugar, salt and cayenne in a large saucepan. Cook until butter melts. Add 2 cups of flour all at once. Reduce heat and stir constantly with a wooden spoon until mixture is stiff and forms a ball-like mass, about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes. Pour into mixing bowl; using a mixer with a paddle attachment, beat 1 minute at medium-low speed to cool the mixture. Increase speed to medium; add eggs one at a time, beating to incorporate before adding the next. Batter should be firm, not runny. If necessary, blend in an additional ½ cup flour. Fold in cheese. Drop by tablespoons onto baking pan lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle with paprika.
3. Bake 10 minutes, turn the pan, and bake 10 more minutes. Leftover puffs can be frozen.
Per serving: 70 calories, 5g fat, 3g saturated fat, 1.5g monounsaturated fat, 30mg cholesterol, 140mg sodium 140mg, 15mg potassium, 3g carbohydrate, 2g Protein, 4% Vitamin A, 4% Calcium, 2%Iron