When we tell you that this delicious recipe has made confirmed tofu-lovers out of Caitís son and his friends (who range in age from 15 to 20), that just says it all: This is one very appealing dish! And it is so easy to make that it has made Cait very happy, too.
Fresh ginger, lemon, and honey combine to make a sweet and tangy marinade for slices of firm tofu. Then you pan-fry it. Thatís it! Raves and lots of healthful protein without fat, all right here:
1 pound extra-firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch slices
1/2 cup good-quality tamari or soy sauce
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated, including peel
2 tablespoons fresh-squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons honey
grated rind from juiced lemon, to taste
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
black pepper to taste
oil for frying
1. Combine tamari, ginger, lemon juice, honey, and lemon rind in a small bowl.
2. Place tofu slices in a single layer in a baking pan and pour marinade over them. Turn to coat. Allow tofu to marinate at least 30 minutes, or up to two hours.
3. Remove tofu and reserve marinade.
4. Combine flour and pepper on a plate. Dip tofu slices in flour mixture, turning to coat.
5. Brown tofu in oil, about 5 minutes per side, adding oil as needed. When all slices are browned, add reserved marinade and simmer 10 minutes.