SCRUMPTIOUS VEGETARIAN RICE DRESSING
Caramelizing the vegetables and adding poultry seasoning creates a real holiday flavor in this dish. It can be served on its own as a side dish or as a stuffing too. Red jasmine rice adds a nice color to the dish.
1 cup coral jasmine rice*
1 cup brown jasmine rice
4 cups water
1 sweet onion, cubed
1 and 1/2 cup celery, chopped
4 tablespoons Earth Balance* or butter
5 cups fresh brown mushrooms, cubed
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
4 tablespoons olive oil
- Place both the coral and brown jasmine rice in pot with water, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to lowest heat possible and cook until water is gone, about 20 minutes. Let the rice sit covered.
- Saute onions and celery in 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons oil, on medium heat until well caramelized. Add half the seasonings once the saute process is completed.
- Saute mushrooms separately, following same saute instructions as in Step 2, adding second half of seasonings once mushrooms are caramelized.
- Mix rice and vegetables together well. Add more salt or oil as needed.
Cooking time: 45 minutes
*Tips from the HeartMath Kitchen
1. Coral Jasmine Rice (Khao Deng variety) is an ancient red grain that has been polished using an innovated technique. The polished grains remain red at the tips and have a natural coral color in the middle. The advantage of this technique is that the grains retain all the riches and minerals of the whole grain rice but are light and easy to digest.[i]
2. Earth Balance is a vegan butter-like spread made with olive, soybean, canola and palm oils. It is available at most natural food stores.
[i] Alter Eco website www.altereco-usa.com
Read more: Food, All recipes, Eating for Health, Following Food, HeartMath Kitchen, Nourishing the Heart, Side Dishes, Soups & Salads, Thanksgiving, Vegan and Delicious, Fall Salad, HeartMath, holiday, recipies, Rice Dressing, Thanksgiving, Turnip Mash, vegetarian
Disclaimer: The views expressed above are solely those of the author and may
not reflect those of
Care2, Inc., its employees or advertisers.