Clearly, the art of living in balance is not a simple thing, or else it wouldn’t take me two blog posts and 20 tips to share. It’s kind of like a buffet or store, where different tastes make for different choices—but the goal is to get what you want and need. So, here are 10 more tips to keep in your pocket.
1. Be nice. Niceness is not overrated. People who are not nice create lots of unnecessary misery for themselves and others. Niceness, on the other hand, creates tons of extra joy. In fact, right now, I am really looking forward to seeing the guys in my usual parking garage in NYC (haven’t seen them in a month). Because I’ve been nice to them, they are nice to me, and we start our days when we see each other with a jolt of joy.
Rewire Your Brain for Health and Happiness
2. Believe in karma. If someone is not nice to you or does something bad, let the universe dole out the punishment. It’s not your job, so don’t waste time on it. There is a peacefulness that comes from believing that the only actions you are responsible for are your own.
3. Be strong and courageous. Just because you are nice and believe in karma doesn’t mean you should let people push you around. Know what you want, believe in yourself, and have the courage to make it happen—or go get it. Don’t let fear stop you!
4. Reward yourself in good ways. My favorite ways to reward myself are a monthly massage (Yea! I made it through another month!), pretty jewelry that I can pass on to my daughters one day, and free time to do whatever I want…that’s my favorite of all, and also the hardest to come by.
5. Laugh a lot. This cannot be overdone. I can make almost anything seem funny if I think about it enough. I love to laugh, and I get even more joy from making others laugh…I think it comes from the fact that I used humor to diffuse tension in my childhood. But hey, it worked.