The Conscious Kitchen – Win the Book!
Eating consciously, according to Alexandra Zissu, author of the new book The Conscious Kitchen, encompasses three criteria: what’s good for personal health, what’s good for the planet, and what tastes great. Those are three things we can get behind. Check out her top tips for getting started, then comment below for a chance to win the book!
The Conscious Commandments
Here are ten easy things you can do today to move toward having a more conscious kitchen tomorrow.
1. Eat less meat. When eating beef, seek out and choose grass-fed. Other meat and poultry should also be carefully sourced.
2. Just say no to bottled water. Drink (filtered) tap instead. This will save money, too.
4. Eat only the least contaminated sustainably harvested wild or well-sourced farmed seafood.
5. Always consider packaging when shopping. Choose items packed in materials you can reuse or that can be recycled in your municipality. Buy bulk items instead of overpackaged goods. Always shop with reusable bags.
6. Cook at home. Often. And serve only on reusable dishware, not disposable. Clean with eco-friendly products.
7. Avoid plastic as often as you can.
8. Try composting, even if you live in a city or a house without a yard.
9. Whenever possible, reduce energy use in the kitchen by choosing efficient appliances, cooking methods, and dishwashing practices; don’t leave appliances plugged in when not in use; ask your electric company for alternative energy sources like wind power.
10. Spread the word. Educate everyone you know. Green your office kitchen, your kids’ school kitchen, your friends and relatives’ kitchens. Make noise; together we can make a huge difference.
WIN THE BOOK! Enter a comment below and you will automatically be entered to win one of three copies of The Conscious Kitchen by Alexandra Zissu. Winners will be announced on June 8. Good luck!
Please email Samantha at firstname.lastname@example.org to claim your new book. Thanks to everyone who entered!