Have you ever wondered why it felt so wonderful to fall asleep on the sand, or lie on the earth looking up at the clouds? Do you notice how different you feel when you sleep on the ground under the stars?
According to a new book called Earthing by Martin Zucker, you were experiencing the flow of the earth’s electric energy connecting to your physical body, which has been scientifically proven to promote healing and create a deep sense of well-being within us. Grounding is simple and it is free. You simply connect your bare feet directly to the earth and enjoy the organic healing benefits.
This is something I have intuitively known and written about for many years in my Feng Shui practice. (See my article Your Personal Nature Meditation). I have also created earth-based seminars and retreats around this very subject, but it was thrilling to see it is now being validated by science.
In Earthing, Zucker talks about how our modern lifestyle has separated humans from connecting to the subtle but ever- present energy that is on the earth’s surface. He calls this connection “grounding,” and claims that the health benefits derived from it may be equally as important as the Vitamin D we obtain from the sun. Many studies have been done that confirm the healing benefits of direct connection to the earth that can be found listed in his article The Townsend Letter.
Throughout history, cultures around the world have honored our connection to the earth. In traditional Chinese Medicine it is called Qi or chi and in the Ayurvedic tradition it is called Prauna. Native American tribal leader Ota Kte writes about how the old people of his Lakota Sioux tribe came to love the soil. They felt her mothering power and were soothed, strengthened, cleansed and healed by sitting or walking barefoot on her surface.
According to Zucker research has shown significant improvements in inflammation-related disorders, chronic pain, sleep disorders, low energy, high stress, muscle tension, headache relief, hormonal and menstrual symptoms, protection from EMF’s and many more health-related issues all by direct daily contact with the earth.
Your Personal Earthing Meditation
Take advantage of the warm summer months to experience the healing benefits of “grounding” or “earthing” for yourself.
- Start by standing, sitting or lying on grass, sand, gravel or unpainted concrete. All of these surfaces will transmit the earth energies. (Wood, asphalt, rubber, plastic, glass, synthetic materials and metal block these energies from being transmitted to us.)
- Pay attention to how you feel before you start. You may want to journal where you are physically, emotionally and mentally and gauge your healing progress over time.
- Close your eyes and focus on releasing any pain or stress you may be feeling into the earth. If you are lying on the ground, open your eyes, soften your gaze and allow your imagination to play with the passing cloud formations.
- Spend at least a half hour on your chosen plot of ground and just allow yourself to be present with what is, stilling the mind.
- After 30 minutes or longer, come back to the present. Pay attention to how your body feels in contrast to where you started. Journaling may help you to focus on each of these three areas and compare the difference.
I encourage you to set aside time each day to walk barefoot on the earth and enjoy the healing benefits that are freely offered to us through our generous and beautiful planet!
Please share with us your own personal experiences of healing from the earth.
More on Earthing at http://earthing.com/faq-earthing-health.php
Erica Sofrina is a Nationally recognized speaker, teacher, author and founder of the West Coast Academy of Feng Shui and Earth Spirit Adventure Travel. She is the author of the book Small Changes, Dynamic Results! Feng Shui for the Western World. Learn more about Erica Sofrina at www.ericasofrina.com
By Erica Sofrina